I’m excited that I will be presenting Basics of Probate, Part 2 twice in the coming month. If you are interested in attending, Part 1 is not a prerequisite.
Basics of Probate, Part 2 – What do you do when your spouse or a loved one has passed away? On top of the grief which you experience from your loss, must you now spend countless years going through “probate?” Fortunately, the probate process can be done efficiently and quickly, and often times probate is not even necessary. This presentation will provide advice about how to avoid the probate process through diligent planning and explains the basics of going through probate should it be necessary. Important issues and topics to be addressed include:
- Whether you need to use an attorney for probate or can do it yourself
- How to handle probate if you choose to do it yourself
- Key terms involved in the probate process.
- First steps to take when you are administering an estate.
- Determining whether or not estate administration is even necessary.
- Means by which to avoid probate without a trust (and without lawyers).
- How to avoid probate with common assets, like real property and cars.
- Shortened probate methods, such as summary administration, spousal allowance, and collection by affidavit
- Overview of the complete probate process and critical document filings (Part 2 includes more focus on forms and filings)